The Furnishing Industry Reference Committee (IRC), supported by IBSA Manufacturing, is reviewing selected Certificate III and entry-level pathways qualifications in the MSF Furnishing Training Package to meet workforce upskilling demands and reflect current and emerging industry skills. The Case for Change was approved by the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC), with the request that the project be completed in two phases. Training package development work will proceed following agreement on the following staged approach.
- Stage 1: Furniture finishing
- Stage 2: Cabinet making and pathways.
Milestones Stage 1
Milestones Stage 2
Why we are reviewing it
Due to the impact of workforce changes, technological advancements and new emerging skills, and job roles and tasks that have been significantly affected as a result, it is important for industry to review and redevelop the cabinet making qualifications to better meet industry best practice and skills needs. Duplication, repetition and obsolete content in the training package in the areas of furniture finishing and cabinet making, and pathways will be removed.
Units of competency will also be reviewed to ensure they align with the Standards for Training Packages 2012 and meet industry best practice.
Early drafts components for stage 1, can be found here and stakeholders will be invited to comment once public consultation opens in early February 2021.
What we are reviewing
- Seven qualifications:
- MSF10113 Certificate I in Furnishing
- MSF20113 Certificate II in Furnishing
- MSF20213 Certificate II in Furniture Finishing
- MSF30113 Certificate III in Furniture Finishing
- MSF30613 Certificate III in Soft Furnishing
- MSF30713 Certificate III in Upholstery
- MSF31213 Certificate III in Piano Technology
- 106 units
- One skill set:
- MSFSS00001 Piano Tuning Skill Set.
- Five qualifications:
- MSF20313 Certificate II in Furniture Making
- MSF20516 Certificate II in Furniture Making Pathways
- MSF31113 Certificate III in Cabinet Making
- MSF30213 Certificate III in Furniture Making
- MSF30313 Certificate III in Timber and Composites Machining
- 58 units
- Three skill sets:
- MSFSS00004 Kitchen and Bathroom Installer License
- MSFSS00005 Fitted Furniture Installer
- MSFSS00006 Fitted Furniture Estimator.
Governance and methodology
Training package projects are overseen by the relevant Industry Reference Committee (IRC) and supported by a project Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). They guide the project and provide industry expertise for developing the components. All projects are then referred to the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) for approval.
Stay in touch
Click here to stay updated with component development and consultation opportunities.
For more information contact:
Demmi Paris | Industry Engagement Partner
P: (03) 9815 7099 | E: [email protected]